Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Week 5: Thing 12 - Searches Made Simple

Rollyo is a tool I have used in the past for home use: I have a Rollyo for recipes which includes all my favorite recipe websites. I also have a Custom Google Search tool which searches various book websites.
But this week's assignment challenged me to think about how I could use it in a more effective way for students or teachers. It didn't take me long to think of a useful custom search tool: digital images which are copyright-free! Our students are constantly needing to find images for projects which may very well be posted to the web. Similarly, teachers need to find copyright-free images for their class websites. Too often, both students and teachers turn to Google Images and don't seem to realize that the images they select may very well have copyright protection. By having a Rollyo tool on my library page just for copyright-free images, I would really be helping my school community to use images properly and ethically. I plan to put this on my library website right away!


No comments: