Sunday, July 6, 2008

Week 3: Thing 7 - A New Soul



You know that MacBook Air ad which plays the Yael Naim song, New Soul? Now that I've recently gone from a PC to a MacBook, that's kind of how I feel: "...a new soul, I came into this strange world hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take". The taking part is easy - iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb: these tools (like all Mac apps) are so, so user friendly they are pretty much a breeze to pick-up. Plus, when I do need some help along the way, the Apple iLife Tutorials are great as is Apple's Switch 101 site which helps fellow PC switchers like me.
The giving part? Well, actually that's just as easy as you can easily post and share your self-created podcasts, movies and websites.
This is all pretty exciting to me since this coming school year we are to get about a dozen Macs in our library. If the Mac process is easier for me, it's got to be the same for my students. In years past, I cannot tell you how many frustrations we had over Windows Movie Maker. Importing videos clips and saving projects were a constant headache and many teachers and students were totally turned-off to creating video projects. What a shame! Here's hoping our new Macs bring life to our "new little souls" and video projects come alive again.

No comments: