Monday, August 11, 2008

Week 7: Things 16-17 WWW: The Wonderful World of Wikis

Although I'm already sold on wikis, and have been using a wiki as my library website - it's been interesting and eye-opening to see how others in my profession are taking advantage of wikis. I was really looking forward to making some contributions to the PA Curriculum Connection Wiki but, alas, you need a key. Were we provided that? I cannot seem to find any reference to it. I have requested a key from the site administrator, Crystal, and will add to the wiki once I have access. I'm hoping that this wiki grows and grows, since it has great potential for PA librarians to network and share. At present, it does not appear to have many postings. (Hmm....perhaps it's because of the lack of that darn key!)

But I loved the ideas posted on the CA Curriculum Wiki! It has 60 ideas and counting! And they all involve collaboration. Yes - that truly seems to be the best value of wikis. It is the essential Web 2.0 tool in that it networks teachers and students together and allows them to share. Story telling, composing letters to legislators, book reviews and book discussions, teacher collaboration on a unit...these are just some of the terrific ideas listed on the wiki.

I've always liked this little video Wikis in Plain English to demonstrate the many social benefits to wikis:

No comments: